Chairman Bill Hewett began by noting that he had worked at FJs for some 15 years, involved in the introduction of developing information technology to the various processes of the factory and the organisation. Starting in 1972, the IT was vastly different to that of 2023. The physically large computer was housed in a tunnel dug by staff in the sandstone under the building.
Bill introduced Julie Eagles, a key member of the FJ Stories Group, who said that she planned to talk about the FJ site in Warrnambool; its past, present and future. FJ purchased the site from the Council in December 1947 when it was a disused quarry being filled with rubbish. So close to the end of WW2, building materials were in short supply and surplus Army buildings were sourced and moved in – some are now heritage listed.
As the company expanded, other buildings were added, including an overall façade which provided a unified aspect. The much-loved garden was developed, the Plus 8 Man statue constructed, and the three-legged “ball” for the water supply provided.
After the factory closed, there was a period of neglect which saw the buildings deteriorate significantly, until purchased by Dean Montgomery who has put much money and effort into refurbishment as he understands the significance of the site. Although the site is on the market, work continues to preserve and improve what is there.
Want to know more:-
1. visit the site, enjoy a coffee or toastie from the caravan, examine the two very large (5m x 1.5m) history display 
            panels recently reprinted.
2. visit the website of the FJ Stories Group (www,
3. find a copy of Not By Myself Alone
Bill thanked Julie for her presentation, and indicated that her $30 would go to One Day Studios.